Active Reading – Saved Search Notes
Before students set up the first part of their library consultation assignment, the query saved search, students will be expected to take preliminary notes on the reading. Students can choose to meet with the librarian BEFORE writing up Active Reading – Saved Search notes assignments if they are struggling with finding material.
Review reading related to your research before you meet with the librarian regarding research needs.
- Turn to at least ONE of your saved searches that has sent you a piece of peer-reviewed work this week.
- Save query after logging on to ACE account via unlv library and/or Google Scholar search.
- Once you save a search, UNLV LIbrary and/or Google Scholar, will send you notification emails about research using your key words.
- Open/download the resource and
- Verify that it’s peer-reviewed (published in an academic journal)
- Once you verify that it’s peer-reviewed, open and download
- Skim the resource by
- Looking for key words in your research
- Reviewing the abstract
- After skimming
- Save/highlight key quotes. Reference, if possible, page numbers.
- Complete the statement
- I do/not intend to read this further because
- This (type of material) does/not address my research question because
- After superficially reviewing this article, I will need to further explore….
- Record 30 seconds/75 word minimum, AT LEAST 50 of your own words.
Criteria for Success:
1. Follow directions
2. Adhere to IDS Learning Outcomes
3. Organize for clarity
4. Provide, to the best of your ability, correcting spelling and grammar.
Saved search note 1
Although marketing and many of the means of gathering information can be strictly defined as a process, it is argued that the knowledge that is needed to inform this should be drawn from a greater and reflexive understanding of the consumer’s historical, social, and culturally embedded understandings of hospitality.
Secondly, to recognize that the consumer is a reflexive, freethinking individual who brings with them a set of individual values and a personal social and cultural biography that will inform their relationship to the product and ultimately, their interpretation of marketing communications.
1. I do not intend to read this further because this source is a bit of far off from my topic.
2. This article does not address my research question because my research question is more about tourism and marketing.
3. I will need to explore more about strategy of marketing, because marketing strategy can help me to analysis some information for my paper.