Significant resources are expended when there is conflict in the workplace, which often results from failing to properly manage difficult people who work there. Managers are often put in the middle of dealing with difficult personality type and the various types of conflict that can result. When this is unsuccessful, a great deal of energy and resources are wasted and the organization may lose people due to poor morale (or worse). Thus finding out how you deal with these co-workers and employees and learning strategies that will help you, as a manager, is critical.
To prepare for this Discussion:
· Review this week’s Learning Resources, especially:
· Lloyd, S. (2012). Managers must delegate effectively to develop employees: Planning can minimize poor performance. Social for Human Resource Management. Retrieved from https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/hr-topics/organizational-and-employee-development/pages/delegateeffectively.aspx
· Mikkelsen, M. F., Jacobsen, C. B., Andersen, L. B. (2015). Managing employee motivation: Exploring the connections between managers’ enforcement actions, employee perceptions, and employee intrinsic motivation. International Public Management Journal 20(2), 183–205.
· TEDx Talks. (2012, April 30). How do I deal with a bully, without becoming a thug? | Scilla Elworthy | TEDxExeter [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgWyolwBGgE
· TED. (2012). Dan Ariely: What makes us feel good about our work? [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.ted.com/talks/dan_ariely_what_makes_us_feel_good_about_our_work
· TEDGlobal. (2009). Dan Pink: The puzzle of motivation [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.ted.com/talks/dan_pink_on_motivation
· Reflect on a situation when you had to deal with a difficult person and the impact it had on you and on others.
Post a cohesive response in which you:
· Summarize a situation when you had to deal with a difficult person. ( Note: Do not disclose names or details that might reveal someone’s identification.)
· What did you do in this situation? What impact did your actions have?
· After reading this week’s Learning Resources, describe what you learned about yourself and the other person, especially with regard to the actions that you took (or did not take) and why.
· Explain what you might have done differently if you had different strategies in place and why.
· How will you use what you have learned so far in this course and in this week’s resources about dealing with difficult individuals interactions in your role as a manager?
Be sure to support your ideas by connecting them to the week’s Learning Resources, as well as other credible resources you have read; or what you have observed and experienced.
General Guidance: Your original post, will typically be 3–4 paragraphs in length as a general expectation/estimate.